Tuesday 11 December 2012

Meeting Robert Bateman



Robert Bateman inspired talk about his process and abstraction was such an amazing experience.

He offered to give an artist talk to the Federation of Canadian Artists group which was part of the workshop on Salt Spring Island I took with a number of very good painters.

Following his talk, I had the opportunity to show Bateman my sketch book and had him sign it. He mentioned he uses a sketchbook all the time and inquired about the thick Bee paper in mine.

When he mentioned he particularity liked an abstract of the ocean I completed on Galiano, I felt understood in my intentions of expressing the essence of the scene.  He mentioned that his realistic paintings are often based on abstract compositions, and that he did a lot of abstract art as well. This further validated my interested in abstracted painting.

Abstraction always has a place in art. To me it is art.

If you ever get a chance to talk with a seasoned painter take it. Ever word speaks as much as their art.

Jane



1 comment: